Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Best and Worst of Times



            Before reading Marzano’s chapter, I reflected on “the best and worst of times.”  I would consider today’s world of teaching, learning, and education as “the worst of times” because there is so much pressure on teachers to do more and more.  The students are also expected to learn more at a quicker rate.  There is less time for students to interact and just “play.”  I also feel that some parents need to work more and there is less time left for kids and helping with homework and reading.
            I would consider today’s world of teaching, learning, and education as “the best of times” because students are learning more at a higher level with the ability to apply their learning to multiple situations.  I also feel that any information students want to know can be found very quickly with a quick search on the internet.  I would consider today’s world of education “the best of times” because there are many more resources that are easily accessible to support teachers.
            In Marzano’s article he looks at the best of times and the worst of times in education.  He writes about how students’ backgrounds plays a role in their education success.   I believe that students who come from challenging situations can overcome these situations.  I believe that the experiences that students come from can be shared within the class and everyone can learn through those experiences.
            Looking at the best of times, Marzano writes about how schools can impact student achievement by staying up to date on research.  I believe that schools and teachers are constantly changing to do the next best thing.  It is important to follow best practices and implement them.  I believe we have to keep in mind what is best for students in order to help them be successful.
            It takes a village to raise a child and everyone must do their part.  We need to work together.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with your statements! It truly is the best of worst times. My mom and I often have the conversation about how kids no longer know how to use their imagination and pretend. It's very sad to me!

    ReplyDelete