Friday, October 11, 2013

Action Research




The question guiding my research is: How will daily oral repeated reading practice affect my students’ reading fluency?  My research has shown that fluency is the ability to decode and comprehend text at the same time.  If students are not able to quickly read words, they will spend more time on decoding versus comprehending.  Third graders are expected to read about 100 words in a minute.  In second grade, many students are still learning to read, but by third grade they are expected to read to learn.  My research suggests the importance of repeated reading to help improve fluency.

Through my research, I have improved the way I teach fluency.  Students are reading phrases and passages repeatedly to help build their fluency.  Students are recording and hearing themselves read and then evaluating their reading using a rubric.  Students are being exposed to the importance of reading rate, expression, punctuation, and accuracy.  I am finding my students becoming more aware of what they are doing well and what they need to work on.  They are setting goals and striving to meet them.  I plan to continue having students recording and listening to their reading and graphing their results.

Questions:
What does the action research timeline look like?
How many students should I be tracking?

2 comments:

  1. As a group, we commit to commenting on each other's blog during each month (by the end of each month). We will comment on other postings and respond with feedback and questions to extend one another in our thinking and reflection related to our practice. We will share ideas for use in the classroom and any support to help one another.

    Lori Heinz (St. Cloud)
    Jessica Dehn (Anoka 16)
    Terah Robinson (Buffalo)
    Boua Xiong (Anoka 16)
    Jill Koch (St. Cloud)
    Katie Junko (Apple Valley 18)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice that you have your students record themselves reading for fluency. I feel that it is important to understand how you sound as a reader. One of my summative assessments will have students record themselves complete read alouds and think alouds. They will have the chance to listen to themselves and record again should they choose to. They will also have a rubric to refer to. I look forward to reading about your end results. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete