Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Differentiation



I decided for my differentiation idea to focus on fluency.  We practice fluency daily throughout the week.  This week, I divided my class into three groups to practice fluency.  I have an approaching level group, an on level group, and a beyond group.  I copied passages based on their level for them to practice.  Each group was a different color.  During the practice time, they partnered with a student who had the same color to practice their fluency.  The reason I did this is because I have many low readers who are not able to read the on level passage they are given weekly.  I noticed my beyond readers challenging themselves to finish the passage in a minute.  I noticed my approaching readers feeling success as they finished a shorter passage.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Lori, how often do you meet with students? or is it just a practice time? Also, is this a lot of prep for you? Where do you get your passages from. I know some of my students could benefit from this practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lori! I really like the idea of a leveled fluency lesson. I would love to know the same things as Courtney. Do they get a new passage each week? What do you use for your school wide fluency test. We just switched to FAST this year. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the curriculum we have, each student receives an on grade level practice book which includes fluency passages. I make copies of the approaching and beyond levels for students who need them. I do give the students a new passage weekly. The passages go with our weekly stories. I meet with one guided reading group daily during centers and individually with students during read to self time. Our school uses Dibels for school wide fluency. I have never hear of FAST. What do you think of it so far?

    ReplyDelete