Sunday, May 12, 2013

Instructional Strategies



This week with my students, I tried a variety of instructional strategies to meet the needs of my students.  One of the strategies I used was compare and contrast.  We looked at geometric shapes and compared and constrated them using a Venn diagram.  We sorted the shapes by stacking, rolling, and sliding.  This strategy was effective for students when compared with Marzano’s essential strategies because we compared the similarities and differences between geometric shapes.  I believe it was effective because students were able to successfully complete their own Venn diagram and explain why they put shapes in certain categories.

Another strategies I used this week was think, pair, share.  We used this strategy daily during our morning meeting.  I gave the students a question related to what we would be doing for the day.  Student thought, paired up, and shared their thoughts.  This strategy was effective because students shared what they already knew about a topic that we would be learning about before the lesson.  I believe it was beneficial because students were able to make connections and use their prior knowledge.

A third strategy I used this week was journal writing.  Students wrote in their journals daily this week about what they wanted.  This strategy does not fit in Marzano’s essential strategies, but I feel that it was effective in my classroom.  Students were able to express themselves through their writing and share their writing with their peers.  I believe it was beneficial because students were excited about writing.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lori - I love reading what you are doing with your kiddos. It is refreshing to hear the same techniques being used with younger kids as we are using with our older students. I also did a think/pair/share with my juniors after they read Catcher in the Rye. It's strategies like that which make me realize the great variety of reading comprehension levels with my students. I had some students -without much effort - who understood what was happening in the novel. Others were amazed at the insight of their peers. I have found it motivating for the students because they want to work harder when they see their classmates catching what they didn't. Moreover, it provided a sense of accomplishment for those students who did understand the nuances of Salinger, the author, without having to be prompted by me - which leads so much into the Constructivism we have been covering lately.

    Keep up the great work in your classroom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori- I enjoyed reading the three different instructional strategies that you used in your classroom with your class. I have done all three of those strategies in my kindergarten classroom too. It is nice that your Venn diagram went well to compare and contrast in your classroom. We do quite a few of these in kindergarten, and they can be somewhat challenging for my lower students. They are a wonderful strategy for my higher students. Some of my students are able to draw pictures and add words to their illustrations, some children can only draw pictures, and others really struggle with the entire strategy. We usually modify things for the lower students with pictures that are available so that they can cut them out and paste them on the correct part of the Venn diagram. Are all of your students able to complete the Venn diagram without difficulty? I also LOVE your other two instructional strategies that you did with your classroom. They both work well in a kindergarten classroom as well. My students enjoy the think, pair, and share strategy with a partner. They also enjoy writing in their journals. It is fun to see the different strategies being used in different grade levels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lori!
    I liked how you included journal writing into your strategies. I have such a tough time fitting this in. I do not give them the time to freely write in journals. I would like to make this a goal next year. I think that journal writing would improve their writing skills along with giving them an opportunity to share and express themselves through writing. I have two coworkers in second grade who are loyal to their journaling strategy. One teacher uses her journals as a communication tool. The kids write to Ms. Keller and she responds to their questions. Sometimes she gives prompts and other times she lets them write or ask about anything that they desire. Another teacher uses sticker questions. I have tried this type of journaling, but I was not loyal! So much to do, so little time! She attaches a sheet of sticker questions to each journal. When the students have journal time, they peel off a sticker question and respond to that in their journal. The questions focus on literary questioning. An example of one of the questions is, what would you have changed about the main character if you were the author? I think that I will give this another try next year. I need to stay loyal and organized!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori,

    I also use the Think, Pair, Share quite a bit during instruction. Like you said, it is a great way to find out what the students already know. I also combined this strategy with the "5-2" strategy where I talk for 5 minutes and let the students talk (guided) for 2 minutes. It definitely keeps things moving and engaging. Our new math series does a great job of giving the students opportunities to communicate.

    ReplyDelete