Thursday, May 23, 2013

5+1=New Instructional Strategy



This week, the new instructional strategy I tried was the Five Plus One (5+1).  With this instructional strategy, the teacher talks for five minutes and the students share/reflect for one minute until the end of the lesson.  I tried this strategy during my science lesson on weather.  During this time, I talked/read for about five minutes.  The students paired up and shared/reflected on a question I gave them related to the lesson.  I believe this strategy was effective because the students were engaged and excited to share their responses.  With this strategy, I wasn’t doing all the talking and students were able to make connections to the lesson with their partner.  This instructional strategy is one that I would use again.

1 comment:

  1. Lori- The 5+1 Instructional strategy sounds like it worked well for you in your classroom during your science time. I would like to try it with my kindergartens in my class. We do a great deal of talk and turns; and the children are very eager to share their thoughts, ideas, and responses. I really like they idea of being more aware of the time I am talking/reading/teaching. I feel this would allow for the children in your class to stay focused and well engaged. Was it easy to bring the kids back down after their minute of reflecting with a partner? I have found that the children do a pretty good job of coming back to my attention after we do pair shares, etc.

    ReplyDelete