Saturday, May 18, 2013

Choice Boards




This week I used a Choice Board in my classroom.  I have used some of the components of Daily 5 in my classroom throughout the year, but I have never given students the choice of what activity they wanted to do at a given time.  This week, I put up a board with the 5 choices.  Students were able to come to the board and mark off their choice and then complete that activity.  The students enjoyed making their own choices and completing the activities.  I was a little nervous at first, but I found that the students really worked hard.  I believe this strategy is very effective because during this time I am able to work with students in small groups or individually.  This time also allows students to be in charge of their own learning.  I am going to continue to use the Daily 5 choice board in my classroom for the rest of the school year and hopefully next year.  This summer, I hope to learn more about the components of Daily 5 since I have not fully used this program in the past.

2 comments:

  1. Lori,
    I like reading about how the strategies work in your room since we have similar clients!  After reading about the best practices in reading and the constructivist theory, I realize that I do not provide enough lessons that offer any type of choice. I would like to try the choice board in my classroom too. I do not currently do the daily five. I take different bits and pieces from it. I would like to incorporate it next year. I need to move things around, so I can fit it in. I feel like there is not enough time in a day, for all of the things that I would like to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Nicki! There is so much to do with so little time. I just finished my second week with the choice board and my students love it. I see so many benefits of doing Daily 5. I am definitely going to find time to do it again next year. Good luck with your last few days/weeks of school!

    ReplyDelete