Thursday, June 27, 2013

Comprehension




After reading, Improving Reading Comprehension in Kindergarten through 3rd Grade, I learned some new things about teaching comprehension that I can implement in my classroom.  I have also been thinking about my action research and what I changes I could make with reading.  In the article, five recommendations were listed for teaching comprehension.

Recommendation 1:
Teach students how to use reading comprehension strategies
  • Teach students how to use strategies independently 
  • Strategies can be taught individually or in combination 
  • Gradual release of responsibility-students are given more and more independence in practicing the strategy
Each week with my reading curriculum, I introduce a new comprehension strategy.  They are repeated throughout the year.  This year, I would like to give my students more independent practice with the strategies.

Recommendation 2:
   Teach students to identify and use the text’s organizational structure to comprehend, learn, and remember content
  • Model and explain how to make connections to the text 
  • Teach common structures of informational text
It is important for students to understand how text is organized.  This year, many of my students enjoyed reading informational text so being able to understand how it is organized is important.

Recommendation 3:
Guide students through focused, high-quality discussion on the meaning of text
  •  Structure the discussion to complement the text, instructional purpose, and readers’ ability 
  • Develop higher level thinking discussion questions
  • Encourage and facilitate discussions 
  • Have students lead discussions
I would like to plan for more discussions next year.  I always feel that there is so much to do, but I need to remember to slow down and let students share and make connections.

Recommendation 4:
Select texts purposefully to support comprehension development

  • Teach comprehension through multiple genres 
  • Be intentional about choosing texts 
  • Choose appropriate reading ability texts 
  • Use texts that support instruction
Recommendation 5:
Establish an engaging and motivating context in which to reach reading comprehension

  • Help students see the benefits of reading 
  • Create opportunities for students to feel successful
  • CHOICE 
  • Collaboration

No comments:

Post a Comment