Saturday, June 8, 2013

Change and Growth



Yesterday, I locked up my classroom and walked out of school and drove home for the summer.  As I began driving home, I immediately began reflecting on my year.  This has been one of my most challenging years, but one that I have probably learned the most about myself as a teacher.

Teaching with intention has been my focus this year.  I have been trying to be very meaningful in forming relationships with my students and coworkers.  I have implemented more choice for my students and gave them a voice to share how they wanted to learn.  I have worked very hard to build a relationship with all my students, but especially with my “cliffs.”  I have also worked very hard to become more of a constructivist teacher.

This year, I have tried a variety of new instructional strategies that I had never tried in the past.  One of my favorite new strategies is the choice board that I implemented with Daily 5.  This is something I plan on using beginning of next year.  Offering choice to my students was very valuable as it gave my students a voice.  This year, I planned and taught a unit with Backwards Design.  I taught with the end in mind and now have a new way of thinking when it comes to planning.

I have learned and grown a lot this year.  After reflecting on my change and growth this year, I am already feeling exciting about the next school year.

2 comments:

  1. I've also seen the benefit of using choice in reading. Have you ever read The Book Whisperer? I've only read part of it but it is worth reading and gives great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also like to give more choices next year! I feel like that will be a challenge for me. I need to focus on slowing down next year. I try to shove too much into a day! I need to worry about quality instead of quantity! I am planning on doing the daily five in reading next year. I will definitely build in a time to do the choice boards.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete