Saturday, June 1, 2013

Backwards Design



Using Backwards Design was a new way of planning for me.  This year, we have a new math curriculum and I feel that I have not been able to fully grasp each unit as much as this one.  Before teaching this unit, I spent a lot of time planning and thinking about the end in mind.  Thinking about the end result helped me to teach with intention.  Before teaching the unit each day, I looked at the enduring understandings and essential questions that I wrote.  I had the essential questions posted and referred to them before each lesson.  Using the essential questions helped students make connections and have meaningful discussions.  Planning the assessments prior to teaching the unit was very beneficial.  It was a way for me to see what I wanted students to truly understand at the end of the unit.  This helped me to see what I really needed to teach for understanding and not just for exposure.  Prior to planning with Backwards Design, I did not think as much about the end in mind.  This way of planning helped me to teach with intention.   Backwards Design was a positive experience for me because it gave me a new perspective on planning and teaching.  This way of planning was positive for my students because it helped create meaningful connections.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed teaching with backwards design too. How did your kids seem to respond and learn compared to other units/years when you did not pose an essential question or teach with the end in mind?
    I was really made aware of how little I get into depth on topics when planning an 8-9 lesson plan unit for something in the past I've taught in two days. I also agree that thinking about assessment prior to teaching was very valuable for me. That is the piece that often confuses me and I'm not sure how to fit it in. UBD made me take the time to implement useful assessment pieces.

    ReplyDelete