Saturday, January 25, 2014

Technology




       I recently tried using QR codes as part of a literacy center in my classroom.  My students loved it.  I created an organizer with the headings past, present, and sentence.  Students had to find a QR card with the present tense verb on it.  They wrote the word, changed it to the past tense, and scanned to check their answers.  Students could then make adjustments as needed and then used the word in a sentence.  I really liked that students were able to get instant feedback to check their answers and make adjustments as needed without my help.  This is something I plan to continue using in my literacy centers.

       This week, we have been learning about graphing.  Students were expected to take a survey of the class, tally the results, and turn the results into a table, picture graph, and bar graph.  I had two students in my class use the iPads to create their project since there are two iPads available.  The used the app Educreations.  Each page included a different part of the project.  After completing the survey and graphs, they went into the hallway to record the steps they took and explain each part of the process in detail.  I was then able to go back and listen to what they did, share it with the class, and their parents.  The class enjoyed hearing the steps they took and relate to similar steps they took.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lori! I like how you used educreations for graphing. I was wondering if educreations had a graphing feature where kids could make or insert a graph into a slide. Thanks for your help!
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not find a graphing feature within the app. I didn't spend a lot of time looking though. I took pictures of blank graphic templates I wanted the students to use and inserted them into Educreations through the camera. It worked great.

    ReplyDelete