Monday, September 9, 2013

Summer Learning



What did you learn in your summer reading and writing of the ROL that EVERY teacher should know regarding the topic?

          This summer, I researched best practices in reading.  I learned so much.  I learned about how each piece of reading is important to helping a student learn to read.  For example, students need to be able to decode words in order to read fluently and students need to be able to read fluently in order to comprehend.  There is so much to know about reading.  I also read a lot about the importance of reading aloud to students.  Every teacher in every grade level should read aloud to their students.  Students may hear and learn things they might not be able to read on their own.  Students need to hear and see model reading so they know what they should look and sound like.

Why should/how is your topic (be) important to others who teach in your level/concept area?

Before third grade, the focus in reading is teaching students to learn to read.  After that, student read to learn.  If students can’t read, they will struggle in all other areas.  It is important for all teachers of all ages promote the love of reading.

How has it or will it impact or shape what you have already done and will be doing in the upcoming weeks?

          Within my research, I read about the importance of reading aloud to students.  This is something I plan on doing daily in my classroom.  I plan on reading a variety of genres and texts to my class.  I also read about the importance of independent reading.  This year, I want to make time to have my students read independently each day.  I want to help my students become fluent readers so I am focusing on fluency for my action research.  I am going to make time for daily repeated reading practice to see how it affects my students’ fluency.

What does it specifically look like in action in your teaching and/or what could other teachers do in their classrooms to honor the research?  

          In my classroom, we have a morning block of reading instruction time and an afternoon time of ability grouping for reading.  I plan on incorporating what I have learned over the summer into my reading block.  I believe the best thing other teachers can do is promote the love of reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment