Sunday, September 29, 2013

Persistence



I truly believe it is important to make mistakes, keep trying, and eventually learn from our mistakes.  We have all had challenging students and often find ourselves trying a variety of approaches until finally we find something that works.  It is important to ask for help and get ideas from colleagues when faced with challenges.  When I am faced with a difficult situation, it does inspire me to “keep on, keeping on” and to not give up.  I want to meet the challenges I am faced no matter how many times I need to keep trying.

This past week, I focused on the mistakes in my classroom.  I have a few students who get upset when they make mistakes.  This week, I decided to point out all my mistakes and tell my class that when we make mistakes we are learning.  My class began pointing out others’ mistakes so we could give a cheer to that student.  They became so excited because they know it means we are learning.  It completely changed the dynamics of my room.  My students have starting embracing each other’s mistakes and are starting to see that it is okay to make mistakes.  I truly believe it is important for teachers to teach grit and persistence.  Things will not always come easy and it is important for students to know that they need to keep trying no matter how many times they fail.

https://www.teachingchannel.org/blog/2013/09/18/lessons-in-perseverance/?utm_source=Teaching+Channel+Newsletter&utm_campaign=89db8a843c-Newsletter_September_21_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_23c3feb22a-89db8a843c-291647637


No comments:

Post a Comment