Monday, April 22, 2013

Backwards Design



This past week, I began a process called Backwards Design to plan a unit on multiplication, division, and fractions.  This method involves starting with the goals of what the teacher hopes to have students achieve.  This process helps educators to remain focused on the big idea.  To begin this process, I listed the learning goals which I hope to achieve with my students.  Then, I listed the enduring understandings which are the big ideas that students will understand.  Next, I wrote four essential questions.  Finally, I wrote the knowledge and skills that students will know and be able to do as a result of this unit.

The Backwards Design process is a method that I have not used before.  At first, I will admit, I was feeling a little (okay…VERY) overwhelmed.  By taking small steps, I feel I am moving in the right direction of understanding the process.  After completing Stage 1 of the process, I feel that I have gained a strong understanding of what I hope students will achieve by the end of my three week unit.  I would like to begin using essential questions in my classroom and designing this unit has pushed me in that direction of writing these questions.  I know that as I begin this process, I am able to reflect on what went well and make changes for the future.  I look forward to completing the rest of the process and eventually teaching my students this unit.  Beginning the process of using Backwards Design was scary at first because it was new to me, but it has opened my eyes to a new way of planning.

5 comments:

  1. I love how you put the definition of the BD format in simple terms. "This method involves starting with the goals of what the teacher hopes to have the students achieve."
    I agree that the BD process has helped me see the big ideas much clearer. I am starting this process in language arts. Do you think that the BD process is clearer in math or reading? I totally leaned toward reading. I am always attracted to language arts, so this might be why I started in this subject. Creating a BD unit for math scares me a little. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure if the BD process is clearer in math or reading. I always lean toward math first. I thought math might be a little easier since the units focus on just a few things and last longer than our language arts units. There are so many skills in language arts and they change so quickly at least with our curriculum. We should compare when we finish the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be interested in knowing what you guys decide about which area is easier. With me teaching a language, I tend to feel more challenged in that area than in the language arts are,a for example. The more "skill" based content the more I am challenged. Perhaps I just need more practice seeing the big conceptual picture...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did both my BD Units on writing. Work on Writing is something I want to implement every day, so I took the opportunity to be familiar with writing through the process of the BD. BD is new to me, too. It has really helped me understand the writing contents more and see the goals I want my students to reach. I think I would like focus on reading for my next BD. I've always found reading and writing more of a challenge to teach because my learners have such a wide range of abilities.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you have a good thing going in your classroom. I love how backwards design keeps you focused on the prize. It helps me to really cut out all of the fluff in my lessons and make our learning targets the main priority. The more you use backwards design, the more natural it will feel to you. Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete