Saturday, March 16, 2013


After watching Cipher in the Snow and listening to the story 601 Maple Street, it is easy to see how important it is to make connections with ALL students.  We can use intention to build relationships with students.  My intention as an educator is to make a difference in the lives of students.  One way I can do this is to focus on building positive connections with students.  Another way to do this is to look at their strengths and weaknesses of my students and finding ways to meet their needs.  I believe that it is so important to listen to the students.  They have so much to say and need someone to listen to them tell their story.  We all have stories to tell and someone to listen to us.  I truly believe that when students see how much their teacher cares about them, they are more open to learning.
 
It was stated in the video that people live up to what others think of them.  Students know what their teachers think of them without them having to say it.  Body language can say a lot.  Giving students positive attention can go a long way.  It can be as simple as a high five or a hug.  It may be the only sign of attention that child gets all day.  I want my students to know that I am someone who cares about them.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lori,
    People live up to what others think of them. Wow! That is so powerful and so true too. This reminds me of the mind map that we created last fall. I think of my own experiences with education. I had such a positive experience in school. My teachers were thoughtful, caring and compassionate. They made me feel special. I am so lucky to have had those experiences, which I think led me to the teaching in the first place. This is why it is essential for me to give my students that same experience. I want them to love coming to learn each day. I strive to create an environment that is positive and inviting. It is so important to be intentional with each student. Thanks for helping me reflect on why teaching is so significant to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori~ I think you are absolutely correct when you state that it is so important that we make connections with all of our students. I love the fact that your intention is to make a difference in the children you teach! I would hope that is the intention with all educators, but you are clearly aware of your intention with your students. It is about truly listening to your students, and focusing on their strengths and weaknesses to meet all of their needs. I could not agree more about how a student feels if they know their teacher truly cares about them and listens to them. I can recall having some wonderful relationships with some of my teachers, and I can also recall not having the connections with some of my teachers that I really needed. It is also my intention to make meaningful connections with my students. Wow, we have such an amazing job to be able to connect with our students each day and have true intentions with them!

    ReplyDelete